True-Life Rock Tales

    Going to the Consumer Electronics Show: The Early Years

    Issue 166

    The Cable Doctor Show started modestly as a live TV call-in question and answer show on tech and installation issues. Of the three TV programs I’ve hosted, this one was my longest-running public access (and at times leased-access) television show. It was on the air for over 14 years. The brand, via media and my Cable Doctor retail business, was active for almost 30 years. Starting in the late 1980s, the show aired into the early next century. We had many different approaches, kinda like seasons if you will.

    At one point we were on satellite, reportedly covering one-third of the world. We broadcasted live from our 23rd Street studio with a feed to Manhattan Cable next door. Then the show was beamed up to a live satellite, then fed to Denver and relayed to a satellite transponder, and out to North America and Canada, Hawaii, and the Caribbean.

    Remember those tremendous satellite dishes on people’s front lawns? Those were C-Band satellite dishes. They were monsters really. The video quality was decent, but the programming was a lot of public access or UHF low-powered broadcasts. One time on a live show I received a call from Hawaii, and others from Calgary and the US Virgin Islands.

    The cost for the satellite uplink was $750, and then studio and other expenses. Even with a sponsor, the cash outlay was significant. At least to me, and then there was the long-term viability of C-Band to be considered. At the time, RCA had recently released a digital satellite TV system. It was a small dish approximately the size of a pizza tray and was able to receive commercial cable television programming. These new systems took off, thus putting C-Band into decline.


    From the not-so-old days of broadcasting: a C-Band satellite dish. Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons/Vsatinet.

    From the not-so-old days of broadcasting: a C-Band satellite dish. Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons/Vsatinet.


    Working the phone. I was cold-calling companies like Blockbuster Video and Philips, looking for sponsors. This usually entailed patience on my part. If I was lucky that meant having my call getting transferred all over a company’s phone system in search of the person who oversaw company advertising. One time, I wound up talking to someone who was an executive at Philips North America’s media relations. He could not commit to anything, but he had a spokesperson on a media tour for Philips’ MiniDisc player. His thinking was that a related slot on my show might bring me to the attention of the company, and thus making me a known quantity to Philips. I agreed, and a few weeks later Ron Goldberg, a consumer electronic journalist (now founder and chief product officer at digital health company Motum), would appear on The Cable Doctor Show.

    I had the practice of scheduling my on-air guests to arrive to an hour before we went on the air. That served multiple purposes. One was to get the guest comfortable with the environment, and to go over their segment.

    Ron and I hit it off and we found out that we’d met before. When I was on tour with the rock band Renaissance about 15 years earlier (see my article in Issue 123), he was on the concert committee that booked them. We had met briefly backstage. He asked if I was going to the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. This was in the early 1990s. I did not know about the trade show and Ron filled me in. It sounded great; I could tape interviews and show products. This looked like it might be a good opportunity to expand The Cable Doctor Show’s content.

    Registration for the media/press was not a problem. I was certified as a media attendee. Ron and his friend, consumer electronics writer Stewart Wolpin were staying at Circus Circus and they made a reservation for me. The Consumer Electronics Show (CES) happens in early January each year. (There used to be a Summer CES in Chicago but those stopped after 1994.) Being my first time attending, I had to make decisions about what I would cover, without any facts or knowledge about the show. I had no idea of what to expect. My thinking was that I could arrive on the second day of CES and be able to easily cover it. This was wrong, of course. I had no knowledge of the dedicated press day that took place before the show, or the opportunities to schedule individual meetings with company representatives. I was an unknown, so nobody was looking for appointments with me. I had no idea how big the show was.

    When I first walked onto the convention floor it was overwhelming. The Las Vegas Convention Center’s Central Hall is tremendous. Hundreds of booths and displays; it seemed like every consumer electronics company in the world was represented there.


    Things can get crowded at trade shows at the Las Vegas Convention Center. Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons/Pattymooney.

    Things can get crowded at trade shows at the Las Vegas Convention Center. Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons/Pattymooney.


    Later that evening I met up with Ron, Stewart Wolpin, and syndicated columnist Harry Somerfield’s at an RCA press conference. They made me feel welcome.

    At that point in time my service center (repair shop) was open and doing business. We were sitting around a big table having drinks and chatting after the RCA press event and someone asked me about VCR repair. After giving an explanation of why a VCR would eat a tape, I remembered one of my technician’s workspaces. I was telling the table about how I noticed a glass on his bench area that was three-quarters filled with little screws. When I saw that, I realized there were a lot of VCRs around the city that were missing screws. Everyone at the table cracked up. In truth, I told the tech that going forward, all screws must be reinstalled! And I kept an eye on the glass to make sure it never got any fuller.

    The next day I met up with my new friends as they covered the high-end audio exhibits, which, in the 1980s and 1990s, were located in places like the Las Vegas Jockey Club, the Sahara, Alexis Park, and other locations away from the Convention Center. This was a gas. Walking in and out of the exhibit rooms (which were rearranged hotel rooms) was very cool and I started to get a feel of how much fun the show could be. That night we split up. The others had dinners with manufacturers’ press people scheduled and I did not. The following day I walked the Convention Center floor. At the time (the early 1990s), CES was only located in the Central North Halls (the Convention Center has since expanded significantly) and some off-site venues where high-end audio manufacturers exhibited. Still, it was overwhelming. So much energy and so many attractions.


    Memory lane: a hallway at the Alexis Park Hotel, Las Vegas, where the high-end exhibitors used to be located. Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons/Linux Journal.

    Memory lane: a hallway at the Alexis Park Hotel, Las Vegas, where the high-end exhibitors used to be located. Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons/Linux Journal.


    Being with some of the highest echelon of the industry’s press was a great intro. I knew nobody at first, but at the press conferences I met other journalists and editors. Ron, Harry, and Stewart were industry veterans, experienced media people, and they knew everyone. Better yet, they talked about The Cable Doctor Show in glowing terms, and it really helped to legitimize me to the press corps.

    One of my new friends was Brent Butterworth. Brent, an audio journalist and consultant to this day, mentioned that he was interested in collaborating with me on The Cable Doctor Show. At the time Brett was one of the editors of Video magazine. The other two editors were the late Jim Barry, and Stan Pinkwas (still working as an editor). The magazine was located at 460 West 34th Street, a big industrial building on the southeast corner of 10thAvenue. Video occupied two floors. The top floor was editorial, and the floor below was for testing and reviewing products. Lancelot Braithwaite ran that department. Lance is a legend in the industry.

    We were going to tape The Cable Doctor Show at the magazine’s office every Monday evening. I would bring Chinese takeout for the three of us. I would show up after 6:00-ish when the offices were empty or emptying out. We would put together a makeshift studio on the floor we were going to use that evening. It could be torn down after the taping.

    With production improved and my costs mostly evaporated, the show moved on to this new format. Lance was a voice of authority on new products and a welcome addition on many segments. We had guests; turntable expert Michael Fremer (The Absolute Sound, The Tracking Angle) did a show on high-end audio.

    We tried different things. We wanted to do some call-ins, but we were not live. Brent thought we could fake it, so we set up a phone and he simulated a call. I had no idea what he was going to ask me. So, I picked up the phone and in a weird voice Brent said, “Cable Doctor, I have some schmutz in my viewfinder on my video camera. How can I clean it off?” Trying hard to keep a straight face, I explained how to detach the viewfinder and clean the glass. We both decided that the phone simulation was too corny, and it was abandoned. To this day it is still a standing joke between us. A year or so later, Brent had taken a new job at CurtCo Media in Malibu, California. At the time they were the publisher of Home Theater Technology and the Robb Report. That meant his relocation to the West Coast and the end to our collaboration on the show.

    By then I was covering consumer electronics events regularly. Press conferences and product announcements. I would tape part of the proceedings and interview the media spokesperson or whatever celebrity they hired. Slowly, over time, the companies and public relations firms accepted me as a legit journalist. However, although I was invited to press conferences, it was a few more years till companies and their PR reps accepted The Cable Doctor Show enough for me to get product loans and the use of review samples. The consumer electronics reporters and press treated me like an equal from the get-go.

    At a Dragon Systems press event I met Richard Dreyfuss. I asked him why he was helping promote their voice-activated typing program (Dragon is now offered by Nuance) and he told me that a close family member had a disability that necessitated having to use voice control rather than hands-on typing, making his interest in that technology personal. At a Sprint event at the Supper Club in Manhattan, magician David Blaine joined us for an hour or so after he did an amazing show where he sat underwater drinking red wine and reading a newspaper. I still have no idea how he did it. Athletes were also were hired for meet and greet press events. Walter Payton was at a Fuji event. Joe Theismann seemed thrilled to meet me, but Boomer Esiason was lukewarm. Dan Marino spent a good 10 minutes joking with me at a Samsung event. He told me that they gave him flat-screen TVs for every room in his southern Florida mansion.


    Walter Payton (center) with Fuji executives.

    Walter Payton (center) with Fuji executives.


    Joe Theismann and Ken Sander.

    Joe Theismann and Ken Sander.


    At the last Summer CES in Chicago, I was interviewing boxer Riddick Bowe. He was admiring my Sharp LCD camcorder that I had on a one-month loan. That camera was a breakthrough for Sharp, with its 8-inch LCD screen. The camera was revolutionary at the time, and at that moment, Sharp owned the LCD market. Riddick liked the video camera too and he took it from me. He was half-kidding, but also wondering if he could get away with liberating the camera from me. I had to ask his manager Rock Newman to get it back from him. My interview with Robin Leach (Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous) was less dramatic. He was charming and gracious.

    Also, at that summer CES, Lutron introduced the first 900 megahertz wireless home phone. We were on the 14th floor of a hotel, in Lutron’s suite facing a park. Stewart took the phone and elevatored down to the lobby and went to the park across the street from the hotel and Ron called him. We were amazed that the phone was able to work at such a distance. This was a major breakthrough and a prime example of why I loved this work.

    Another time I was afforded a chance to sit with Muhammad Ali at an event for The Silk Road at New York’s iconic Puck Building. Also attending was mister “no más,” Roberto Duran, and Larry Holmes. Holmes and I had a brief chat while getting some cake and cookies at the dessert table. Roberto Duran invited me to join him briefly for a picture while he was having lunch.


    Muhammad Ali and Ken. Photo taken inside the Puck Building.

    Muhammad Ali and Ken. Photo taken inside the Puck Building.


    Ken with Roberto Duran.

    Ken with Roberto Duran.


    There is much more to tell, and I will in future stories. Altogether I have 25 years of CES attendance.

    Header image: 1982 Consumer Electronics Show, Chicago. Courtesy of Wikipedia/Alan Light.

    8 comments on “Going to the Consumer Electronics Show: The Early Years”

      1. Yep, the nondescript sign that directed you to the “adult software” section! The offsite T.H.E. Show of high end audio made for some interesting conversation as well.

    1. Yeah, I saw that too, in the early years. I think CES got so big that they elbowed them out. It is my understanding that CES is the worlds biggest trade show.

    2. I’ve never been to CES, but my Dad had one of those big C Band dishes in his back yard. Yeah, they were huge! It took up a significant chunk of the yard, and in the winter I was tasked with going out and sweeping the snow out of it.

      We had to program it to line up with the various satellites – it was pretty cool to see the picture on the TV pop up as it zeroed in on one.

    3. I had the privilege of attending my first CES during the last year it was in Chicago, and attended my last CES in 2015. Attending with a Press badge and later an “Industry Analyst” badge–representing Consumer Reports magazine–I had unprecedented access to all Press events and many closed-door manufacturer and VIP events, due to the respect that CR had in the CE industry. However the one area in which I was a relative “outsider” (excluding the people I personally knew) was in high-end audio–ironically my personal favorite, but one in which CR was not associated. I remember most years being able to save some time to wander down the aisles of the various “unofficial” venues over the years (the photo of the Alexis Park hotel brought back many memories); I’d turn my badge inside out when walking in to the high-end rooms I wanted to visit. On the occasions in which a manufacturer or rep would approach me to inquire “who I was with” and then showing them my Consumer Reports Press/Analyst badge, their usual reaction was “Wow-what are you doing HERE?” When I explained that I was “off-duty” and there for personal interest as an audiophile, I was generally greeted graciously–and had developed some long-term industry friendships that way.
      Seeing the transformation of CES over a span of about 26 years and attending every year the largest, most exciting, adult Disneyland–as an “insider”–was one of the most exciting experiences I could wish for. Wish I could do it all over again!

    4. My first CES was Vegas 1988. Never went to the Convention Center, only the “hi-end audio” rooms, mainly at the Sahara, and later at the Alexis Park. Part of the fun at the Sahara was watching the porn stars on their way to and from the adult entertainment area in that casino. Some of the gamblers even paused to look up. ;^)

      At that time it was still a “consumer electronics” product show, intended to interface the manufacturers with dealers and press, but not open to the public. Credentials were required for registration to obtain a badge. But most of my audio buddies knew at least one manufacturer or dealer who would help with that requirement. So even if our badges showed made up titles we had one and were admitted.

      For the first nearly 10 years they were great fun and I enjoyed meeting many industry types; manufacturers, designers, and reviewers. Friendships were struck and renewed year after year. It was fun seeing some of the new products but it was the personal contacts that made it worth going.

      The last few years that I attended the experience deteriorated. The business plan in Vegas had changed and hotels, food, and drinks became much more expensive. Bargains evaporated from the audio companies as well. Early on some great deals could be scored with LPs, CDs, and accessories. Many times component manufacturers would offer big discounts on show components, rather than ship them home. But in the last years I attended most software was full price and not so many component deals were offered. Worst of all, the CES simply grew. More venues were needed for all the displays and attendance boomed. I can give away my trick now since I’ll never attend again. A major congestion was the elevators in the big hotels. So I would start out going to the top floor first when things opened. From there it was easier to walk down, stopping at floors with manufacturers I wanted to visit, and no waiting for an elevator.

      I’ve not been to Vegas since the early 2000s so no further impression how it has changed. THE Show and Stereophile sponsored shows in CA that were closer to home so much easier to attend, and just as much fun as the earlier years of the CES.

    5. One year a bunch of TAS people decided to take a lunch break and go to the AVN show, which was literally in the same building as CES. I gathered a bunch of…interesting…literature, mixed it in with the product literature from the audio manufacturers, and brought it home. Post-show, TAS editor-in-chief Harry Pearson and I went through all the paper I had brought back from the show…but I thought I’d play a trick on him and didn’t tell him I had snuck in the adult stuff. You should have seen the look on his face when he got to the first non-audio-product brochure…

    6. I was the first Bose manufacturer’s rep in the SE and attended the Chicago 1972 CES.

      It still had console stereos on the main floor. Unbelievable.

      High end was in a couple of hotels.

      But originally, it was just a hifi show.

      I went for several years and then they added the winter CES in Las Vegas which ultimately took over.

      Those were the good ole days when you could meet and talk to the founders of many well known companies.

    Leave a Reply

    Also From This Issue

    XTC: Steven Wilson Remix/Remasters on CD and Blu-ray, Part Two

    This follow-up to Part One in Issue 165 covers the…

    AES Europe Spring 2022, Part Two

    (Copper Issue 165 featured Part One of our coverage of…

    Getting the Most From an A/V Receiver: Yamaha’s Web Editor Setup Tool, Part One

    Yamaha has recently released a slew of A/V receivers in…

    150 Favorite Rock Albums: More Mini-Reviews

    In Issue 150 I listed my 150 desert island favorite…
    Subscribe to Copper Magazine and never miss an issue.

    Stop by for a tour:
    Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5pm MST

    4865 Sterling Dr.
    Boulder, CO 80301

    Join the hi-fi family

    Stop by for a tour:
    4865 Sterling Dr.
    Boulder, CO 80301

    Join the hi-fi family

    linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram