Have you noticed that everything seems to come and go in waves and cycles? For example:
- The number of people listening to music has never been greater.
- There’s never been a greater proliferation of hardware devices that store and deliver musical content.
- The music industry has never been in worse shape.
- The high-end audio industry seems to keep shrinking.
Yet, when we look over time we see that perhaps these are transient trends. For example:
- Turntable and vinyl sales are on the rise after facing extinction
- The number of independent musicians is on the rise
- High resolution audio and the demand for it continues to increase
- The number of people willing to accept poor sound is decreasing
I think what we’re seeing in the high-end is a micro view where the original group is getting smaller while the next wave of interest is queuing up.
Waves, cycles and pendulums are actually predictable if you take a macro view.