I find most of us are in two major camps. Those who are starting from scratch building their system in the hopes of getting the first 90% right, and the rest of us striving to get the last 10% nailed down.
Both are equally difficult challenges though they each require different disciplines.
For group one who are building from a clean slate, the choices are defined by a broad brush stroke: digital, analog, or both? What kind of speaker and why. What are the limitations and potentials to be dealt with in the room? How to apportion the budget.
The decisions for group two are cut from that of a much finer brush: how to maximize what works and minimize that which is holding us back. Perhaps it’s time for new speakers, a cable upgrade, a room tweak.
Regardless of which camp you find yourself in, the challenges are of equal measure.
As our chief engineer, Bob Stadtherr is fond of saying, “it doesn’t matter if you’re working on the first 90% or the last 90%, it’s all good.”