There are good and bad habits. Some need to be broken, while others might benefit from tending and nurturing.
It seems my bad habits outweigh my good ones, but that’s probably pretty common.
Of my good habits concerning stereo systems, here’s a short list:
- Always check the volume control before playback. Too many times I have been bitten by too loud or soft.
- Look for any changes in the display of my preamp. Using a remote control is certainly convenient but it comes at the price of the occasional erroneous button push.
- Reboot my system every month. It’s easy to get lazy about rebooting and fall into the trap of everything’s just fine.
- Revert to known music if performance goes awry. If something in the system’s amiss it’s always helpful to have a go to piece I know like the back of my hand. I think of it as my reality check.
- Trust my first impressions. This doesn’t work for everyone but it sure works for me.
I’ll bet you have some good habits to share with the community as well.
We all benefit from sharing our acquired knowledge.