NAD POWERDRIVE and POWERPLANT P5
  • Does NAD´s powerdrive have any effect of regulated power of a POWERPLANT?I was just thinking about, if the POWERPLANT will take the POWERDRIVE out of control and slow down the power from the NAD?

Thanks in advance
    Bjørn
    Denmark
  • 7 Comments
  • Vote Up0Vote Down elkElk
    Hi, Bjørn

The NAD's PowerDrive circuit will work very well run off of a Power Plant. The PowerDrive circut switches between high voltage and high current, depending on speaker load. A Power Plant will efficiently supply the demands of the NAD better than the power out of the wall.

Please let us know if you try it!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down adminPaul McGowan
    Yes, Elk is correct. Please let us know what you find.
    Paul McGowan CEO PS Audio
    Are you receiving a copy of my Paul's Posts series? You'll receive fresh insights into high end audio each morning - good to start the day. Learn more by visiting our YouTube channel as well you can watch the unfolding inside story at PS Audio by visiting our Instagram page.  Have fun and thanks for sharing.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down alan_caro@yahoo.comacaro
    I have a NAD M3 and a PPP and have had issues with the M3 turning off on its own at times when plugged into the PPP as compared to being plugged straight in the wall. I have a hunch that it has something to do with the load, as it seems to occur in the summer time with the air conditioner running. I wonder why the PPP is not able to hold up under these circumstances.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down adminPaul McGowan
    It may be that the power line during these periods is dropping below the allowed threshold on the PPP and its under voltage protection is kicking in.
    Paul McGowan CEO PS Audio
    Are you receiving a copy of my Paul's Posts series? You'll receive fresh insights into high end audio each morning - good to start the day. Learn more by visiting our YouTube channel as well you can watch the unfolding inside story at PS Audio by visiting our Instagram page.  Have fun and thanks for sharing.
    alan_caro@yahoo.com said: I have a hunch that it has something to do with the load, as it seems to occur in the summer time with the air conditioner running . . .

When this happens, does the PPP click? I find when the voltage drops significantly, my PPP clicks. I believe it is switching between regeneration and protection modes.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down alan_caro@yahoo.comacaro
    I had the clicking problem with it before. I sent it back to PS Audio and they upgraded some parts and updated the firmware and I have not had that problem any more. I continue to have the problem with the NAD occasionally shutting off. When I turn the NAD M3 on, I notice a very brief dimming of the lights in my house at times.
    This is surprising as the PPP can handle a large load and will also switch to allow the line to power the equipment directly if need be.

The M3 is just big enough that it is reasonable the draw on staart-up is pretty high as it recharges the capacitors, etc.