Dectet vs Quintet/Duet?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down jvillyjvilly
    Is there a huge difference in sound quality between using the Quintet/Duet vs the new Dectet? Also is the high current zone better than the Quintet/Duet (power amp usage)?
  • 34 Comments
    Anyone?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down brodricjbrodricj
    Dectet is a very new product, there probably aren't many forum members out there yet who own both and can comment. To add to the discussion here I get a sense there is a swing away from passive conditioners towards the power plants. I'd be interested if their sales statistics for power products have shown a relative move towards active from passive conditioning since the P5/10 came to market.
    I know it is quite new, but perhaps someone of PSA can answer it?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down adminPaul McGowan
    I can answer because, perhaps, I may be the only person that's had a chance to audition both. The Dectet is bigger, fuller sounding than the Duet or Quintet. I think it's because of the larger magnetics we used - perhaps 5 times larger with far more "meat" on the cores.

I am not sure the Dectet is so much better that I would encourage people to sell their Duets and Quintets and rush out to buy a Dectet (although that would be fine by me >:) ) but it is noticeably better.
    Paul McGowan CEO PS Audio
    Are you receiving a copy of my Paul's Posts series? You'll receive fresh insights into high end audio each morning - good to start the day. Learn more by visiting our YouTube channel as well you can watch the unfolding inside story at PS Audio by visiting our Instagram page.  Have fun and thanks for sharing.
    Thanked by 1jvilly
  • Vote Up0Vote Down mbmb
    Actually, I've been scouring the net for any early reviews on the Dectet because I have been looking to do PRECISELY that - upgrade from my Quintet.

Adding the original to my system some years back was such a sea change improvement, that I've been champing at the bit to find out what would happen to my gear, once it had this in front of it. As somebody with a golden ear and copper pocketbook when PS Audio comes out with these value products I just jump at the chance.

Plan was to hand The Q down to a junior (stereo) woodchuck in the family and buy the new guy. But now I dunno...

The description of "bigger, fuller" was helpful...but as somebody looking to make the swap and arm twist others to join me - is there any more insight you, Mr. McGowan, can provide on the subject since you are the only keeper of the secret knowledge at this point?

In fact, any further musings on the improvement gain between old and new and/or impressions of the new unit itself would sure help me in making a decision. Thanks very much.
  • These are backordered at AA -- is there a new batch ready, or is there a long wait? Thanks!
    DLIII (Cullen level4) -- Trio C100 (Cullen level3) -- Dectet -- Cardas -- Energy Veritas 2.2i Mundorf mods -- (2x) ML Depth i Subs
  • Music Direct is out as well. Has the demand really been that high, or have they not even received any yet?
  • We just shipped 500 more pieces out the door Friday they should be trickling down shortly. More on the way.
    Are you receiving a copy of my Paul's Posts series? You'll receive fresh insights into high end audio each morning - good to start the day. Learn more by visiting our YouTube channel as well you can watch the unfolding inside story at PS Audio by visiting our Instagram page.  Have fun and thanks for sharing.
  • Anything more you can say on my Q?

Am making a three hour drive this weekend (one-way) to get to the PS Audio dealer to give the business to (along with other stuff as well) - so would be nice to know if moving forward with a Quintet upgrade is the right idea.

See above, please.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down wingsounds13wingsounds13
    I would say that if you need a power cleaner for another system that I would say to do just what you described above. Buy the Dectet to replace the Quintet and move the Quintet to the other system. I may be doing just that sometime in the future when I can justify the expendature of funds. If it was just for the upgrade in the existing system than I would not bother as I suspect that the difference between the two is small.

J.P.
    It seems that perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove.
    - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
  • Thanks JP. It is for upgrade purposes.

Appreciate your time, still hope Paul weighs in as that is still the major determinant on whether or not I go forward.

• Vote Up0Vote Down GordonGordon
    @mb

Will your dealer lend you one to try before you buy?

It is really hard to advise someone when the differences are there but subtle.
    There to one can be more subtle to another and also somewhat system and listener dependent.
    "The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Einstein
    “The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    "Who tastes not, knows not."
    - my Mom
  • Okay...this was never meant to go on and on - people have better things to do. Was just hoping to get a quick dose of additional intel and be out of everyone's hair. But I don't want to hog this thread any longer. Will just answer you to wrap this up.

I'm here in Canada and I've been told by dealers that so far the allotment is 100% sold through. My one dealer of PS Audio will not be getting it in, the other does not do in-homes and they are not good guys for giving business to any way. So, as mentioned above, I was planning to make a six-hour round-trip drive this weekend to pay for an order with a dealer that deserves/earns people's business were I to do this (have other things to do also, I'm not nuts). And they will only be interested in an outright sale.

Paul said 'fuller, bigger' - you are saying 'subtle', if that's what we know now, that's what we know. It's just that IMO when you have a replacement product in a subjective pursuit such as audio, you wanna know the diff. PS Audio is always great at giving just that - informative initial impressions on their stuff so I thought it was just natural to ask. Now I wish I wouldn't have bothered...and just waited til somebody had one.

Doubt I can get harmed by the purchase unless it makes my system way too bass-y or something. Was just hoping a fuller descript might be available by those who had heard so far, to make this effort worth the drive and logistics. That's it.

Thanks for your time Gordon. I'm out.
    Hey mb, don't go away. And don't worry about taking our time either. While we may not answer immediately, we enjoy helping those who have questions or problem with their PSA equipment. You are more than welcome to hang out and talk too.

Please do give us your impressions if you do get a Dectet. Many of us are interested, some more than others.

J.P.
    It seems that perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down GordonGordon
    admin said:

I can answer because, perhaps, I may be the only person that's had a chance to audition both. The Dectet is bigger, fuller sounding than the Duet or Quintet. I think it's because of the larger magnetics we used - perhaps 5 times larger with far more "meat" on the cores.

I am not sure the Dectet is so much better that I would encourage people to sell their Duets and Quintets and rush out to buy a Dectet (although that would be fine by me >:) ) but it is noticeably better.

MB,
    I found Paul's quote above pretty decent given the type of product and obvious lack of general user feedback due to it's newness and system subjectivity.
    We are all curious as we have not heard other feedback either.

"The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Einstein
    “The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    "Who tastes not, knows not."
    - my Mom
  • Yes, sorry for not responding quicker, I do miss some posts - I'll admit it! It's really hard to suggest people should switch because while I am absolutely clear on some things - like the difference between the Mark I and the Mark II DAC - I am less clear on other things. The Dectet is definitely a step up to the Quintet and Duet - just as the new Power Plants are clear steps up from the older Premier.

But the importance factor isn't always clear. By that I mean if the Quintet is the main source of power in your system, then yes by all means upgrade to the Dectet because you'll enjoy the improvement immediately. If, on the other hand, the Quintet is just being used as a plug extender or attached to the output of a Power Plant, then perhaps it isn't worth your time and effort.

So I know a PWD owner uses the PWD as the center of the owner's universe and I know a Power Plant is the same - I am not always clear about accessory products - which can be used as centers or accessories - hence my hesitation in a definitive answer.
  • Gents I'm always mindful to travel with my own can of WD-40 so my wheels never hafta squeak for anyone to hear. So right now I'm looking for the 'red faced' emoticon in 72pt on account of causing all this unintended fuss.

Quintet IS my main so I AM upgrading. THERE, WE'RE DONE!

Any way, to do justice to all the cycles chewed up here I'll make a point of providing some good feedback on the A-B as soon I get the new one in.

(And J.P. - Rest assured, you haven't seen the last of me...just yet. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I'm out)

Now where's the darn emoticon for the dodged bullet...Whew.
  • Just received a Dectet from AA-- It's very nice, even opened it up to check it out-- It's nicely constructed. It's going to replace a Duet.

Hooking it up tonight & gonna listen to some tunes!!

System:

Energy Veritas 2.2i (Mundorf Silver Capacitor/Inductor/Resistors/Kimber Cable Modified)
    Dual Martin Logan Depth i Subs

Trio C100 (cullen upgraded)
    DLIII DAC (cullen upgraded)

Modified Squeezebox Touch Front End (Unsoldered Toslink, Screen, Kernel processes disabled, randomized buffer) with CiAudio powersupply.

All Cardas (clear light)/PS power cabling (a couple Cardas power cables, something they do is just awesome on power cables)

DLIII (Cullen level4) -- Trio C100 (Cullen level3) -- Dectet -- Cardas -- Energy Veritas 2.2i Mundorf mods -- (2x) ML Depth i Subs
  • Please let us know what you think after listening. We're excited to know. The Dectet has a solid feel to it and when you pick it up you just know it's well built - which it is. The amount of hand labor that goes into this piece is huge, but worth it when you hear what it does.
  • Menace still hasn't given any feedback after more than 2 weeks. Is that a hint of something???
    Yeah, he's too busy enjoying his stereo system to do anything else. Are the Honey-Dos going untended too? :D

J.P.
  • My quintet has sold. I need SOMETHING! Just a nudge from an objective source, or at least as objective
    as one can be after committing the cash. Menace ? Anyone ? Bueller ?
    If you liked the Quintet and need a similar power center then I would not hesitate to get the Dectet. No, I don't have one, but I would like to. If only I had the money available. I do like what the Quintet has done for my electronics. Yes, the stereo sounds better, but what really dumbfounded me was that the picture on my LCD TV improved substantially with the addition of the Quintet. If the Dectet is better (and it is supposed to be) then it should be a very nice addition between the wall socket and the power cords of almost any system.

J.P.
  • The Dectet is a big improvement - I just got off the phone with a couple of people I really respect and they had the Dectet feeding a pair of Rowland amps and were blown away by the improvement - one preferred to keep them in his high current zone on the Dectet and the other benefitted by the additional filtering offered by the other zone - but both were quite blown away and sold their Quintets immediately.

Good thing you got out while the getting is good with that Quintet!
  • Wanted to give a whole whack of feedback on this - 'Out with the Old / In with the New'

Out with the Old

First the 'Old'. I sold off my Quintet to a musician friend given I was replacing it with the Dectet. I actually made a point of picking up a PP Classic for him as well at the same Edmonton, PS Audio dealer I bought my Dectet from. A little back story - for a long time I have been trying to nudge him into upgrading his power and with this I finally made it happen.

Well I will tell you - just so you are all reminded of how good even the old PSA technology still is. His little home studio was IMMEDIATELY transformed. He proceeded to play for me some of his old compositions off his computer over his near-field monitors - one's that I never cared for - but with the Quintet and Power Port on the job I found for the first time that I got what he was trying to say in his music. After the song was done, I asked to hear it again & after that - I told him that the song was still in my head - another first. This was a composer/musician never satisfied with his productions, constantly tweaking them trying to overcome the shortcomings in the sonics of his system. But no more. With this upgrade he could finally realize that he had gotten it right all along. The music he listens to for pleasure and inspiration, of course, also benefited and he is now more jazzed about listening to music which inspires him that much more as an artist. And finally, the sonic quality of the work that he has recorded since this change has also gained from this - both in the capture and the playback of the information. Suffice it to say, this add to his system of 'old stuff' has completely changed his work and I would say re-ignited his creative fire. Major kudos for that.

In with the New

Quick update on my Dectet experience thus far. I actually did a whack of upgrades along side the Dectet buy (new PS Audio cable, new pre-amp) so it is difficult for me to say the very substantial benefits I am hearing can be directly traced to the Dectet. What I can say is that it is a really well built piece of gear - definitely over and above my Quintet, which was no slouch. I am a little surprised that the over/under protection has already powered down my system a couple of times (a total rarity with the Quintet) in the couple weeks that I've owned it - but I'm not complaining.

So, while it is unfortunate that I can't give a solid A-B compare I am confident in saying that the Dectet was a step up and I have no questions in my mind that it was the right thing to do.

I hope in the future to take the Dectet unit over to the friend's house above and compare it against his Quintet powered world and then come back and offer a real take on what the new piece does. Until then...
  • MB and look2france,
    If you're looking at upgrading, are you maybe interested in a black Power Plant Premier?

Raymond
  • @mb Thanks for this quick review!
  • I have had the Dectet for 3 days. I sold my Quintet after loaning it out for a trial several weeks ago, so I did not just unplug the Quintet and plug in the Dectet. But first some context: my system is an Arcam AV 350 which I use to bi-amp my AV123 towers - which I have modded with cabinet treatment and upgraded crossovers from Sean at Skiing Ninja. AudioArt/Transparent speaker cables and Audio Art power cables. Primary source is an Oppo BDP-83 modded extensively by Ric Schultz at Electronic Visionary S. Well, the Dectet is not subtle in its improvements in my system. My system has been transformed from 'sounding pretty good' to true audiophile depth os soundstage, clarity( the classic windex on the widow effect)dynamic contrast and micro harmonics have been all been improved. Yes, the Dectet is enough to delay my search for speakers with a more visceral low frequency delivery( I don't like to use my sub woofer as the processing effects my systems Analog Direct purity (Morrow MA-4 IC's) because I now hear bass the was not there through the Quintet or using the wall outlet ( though it is a cryo- treated Bolder Cable one from Wayne).
    I am very pleased I did the upgrade. I can now get through the Holidays w/o speaker upgrade !
  • Vote Up0Vote Down adminPaul McGowan
    Thanks! We're delighted to read this.
  • Hi Paul,

Can I use the Dectet with my two Parasound JC1 monoblocks plugged in the two High Current inputs? The JC1s put out 450W into 8 ohms and 800 watts into 4 ohms each…They also run at 250 Watts when idle. I think I had read somewhere that they did not interact well with the PSA Power Plants but I am only looking for good filtration, surge protection and under, over voltage protection. I live in a rural area with a lot of power outages. I wwant to make sure that the Dectet does not limit their high current in any way.

Also, are there theoretical limits to how much high current the Dectet will allow? The JC1s have high current peaks, hence the question.

Thank you for the help.