PPP default voltage setting
  • Vote Up0Vote Down archive_steve-warchive_steve-w
    I read the manual that says the default output voltage is 120v, it also states that it could vary depending on load. I am a little confused with this. The input voltage could vary depending on load, which I understands perfectly. since the powerplant's job is to regenerate voltage, it's output should not deviate from 120v that much. I have a Krell KSA-200 pure class A power amp. When I turn it on, the input voltage drops to about 116v or so. However, when I toggle the mode to output voltage, it shows 112 to 113v most of the time.

I go into the calibrate mode, check that the display voltage of both input and output voltage are 120v. go back to normal mode, the output voltage is still at 113v or so when the Krell is running. What is the point of regenerating AC when the output voltage drops with the load. Could Paul or someone explain a this for me?

I also have a P500, when I set the output voltage to 115v it is 115v, doesn't drop at all. As such, I don't follow the logic of the PPP.

thanks

steve
  • 0 Comments
    Yup, weird isn't it. I sent you a PM regarding the cost of sending it to you guys. Thanks for the reply.

steve
  • Vote Up0Vote Down archive_Paul McGowanarchive_Paul McGowan
    That's weird. The good news is the PPP is doing what it's designed to do on the output - but it's kind of baffling that the display itself is reading so weird. We can get the unit back and try and figure it out for you if you'd like. It is supposed to be a bit more accurate than that on the meter.
    Thanks for the reply Paul, I downloaded the instruction and followed what it says. (while unit is off, press the mode up/down buttons and power button simultaneously to enter calibration screen) The funny thing is, every time I calibrated the display to show input at 121v and output at 120v. As soon as I turn on the Krell, the calibrated setting will change. Here's a snap shot:

At idle with everything off:
    input voltage display: 119-121v
    output voltage: 120v

when Krell is turned ON:
    input voltage display: 115v (this is understandable and normal, verified by my multimeter)
    output voltage display: 113v
    output voltage measured by multimeter: 119.9V (measured from the outlets of the PPP)

So obviously, the output display changes regardless of what I have set it to. However, the actual output voltage does not change (measured by multimeter).

I don't know if it is supposed to be like this.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down archive_Paul McGowanarchive_Paul McGowan
    It sounds like the unit is not properly calibrated. The meter can be calibrated to be closer than it is - and it sounds pretty far off right now. Calibration is something that you can actually do through the front panel.

Call us for instructions.
    ok, I just used a multimeter to check the output voltage, the multimeter reads dead on 119.9V, regardless of what the display tells me, it shows 119.9V. So, what's the purpose of displaying the output voltage when it does not reflect the actual. The screen also displays "cut" or "boost" depending on whether the displayed output voltage is lower or higher than the input voltage. My household input voltage is at 122V.

Could someone explain how the calibration of display should work? The instruction posted on this site is not very intuitive.